I think I’ve decided on a set of components for upgrading my PC:
- Asus A7V8X motherboard. Good reviews, excellent features (6 x USB 2.0 ports, 2 x Firewire, Gigabit ethernet, on-board sound, et al.), and a nice price point (£100).
- AMD Athlon XP 2000+. Seems to offer the best price/performance ratio in the range I’m looking at right now.
- 512MB DDR 2100 memory.
- AcoustiCase ACC6606A quiet case. One of the things I don’t like about my current PC is that it’s really quite noisy. I don’t notice it so much when I’m working away at it, but when I’m doing something else, like watching TV, the background noise is annoying.
- Matching ultra-quiet 300W PSU.
- And a Zalman Flower Cooler to keep the CPU cool & quiet.
Total cost looks like it would be around £450. Hmm…