- Flickr Engineers Do It Offline – on the “new hotness” of queuing systems in web apps. Also: LM Orchard – “Queue Everything And Delight Everyone“
- Steve Souders of Google has released Hammerhead, a nifty Firebug extension for measuring page load times. He is also teaching a class on high performance web sites at Stanford University this year, and posting his class notes online.
- Steve Lamm (also of Google) has some notes on Hammerhead, and the importance of using a proxy to test performance over slow connections.
- The Opera Web Standards Curriculum has recently been updated with a bunch of new articles covering accessibility and CSS. This is a fantastic resource.
Design & User Experience:
- Victor Lombardi on Concept Design Tools
- Jessica Enders takes an empirical approach to the age-old Zebra-striping question: part 1 and part 2.
- Indi Young: Look At It Another Way. Are you trying to solve the right problem?
- “Blowing Up” – An interesting article from Malcolm Gladwell (Blink, The Tipping Point) about the counter-intuitive investment strategies of Nassim Taleb (The Black Swan, Fooled By Randomness). The article is from six years ago; rather relevant right now. (Via Megan McArdle)
- Scott Hanselman talks about his experiences with telepresence tools (videoconferencing, screen sharing) after a year of remote working.
- The eyeballing game. How accurately can you judge angles and distances?