Abi fancied some wild rice last night, so I cooked up something a little different: pork loin with a maple syrup and pineapple glaze with wild rice and lentils.
- Put the wild rice and lentils in separate pans. Fill with water, and bring both to a gentle boil. (Cooking them till soft takes about an hour.)
- Cut the pork loin into two halves, and sear them in a pan with some butter & olive oil (or bacon dripping, if you happen to have any left over 🙂
- Put the pork in an oven-proof dish. Pour a generous helping of maple syrup, and a small tin (225g) of pineapple chunks over them. Cover the dish, and put into a hot oven (gas mark 7) for about 45 minutes.
- When the rice and lentils are soft, take them off the heat, and drain them.
- Take the pork out of the oven, and put it on a warmed plate to rest. While it’s resting, pour the juices and pineapple chunks into a pan, and reduce until thick.
- Slice the pork, and pour the glaze over it. Serve alongside, or on a bed of the rice and lentils.
Sweet and tangy–rather tasty!